Friday, June 14, 2013

City Girl

The wildlife here is staggering. And by wildlife I include bugs. The other night at dinner a GIANT beetle crawled next to me and I shrieked like a little girl. I had to apologize to everyone reiterating that I'm from Los Angeles. Yesterday I followed the sound of one of the cat's howling. When I found her she had a lizard in her mouth - and proudly walked up to me to show it off. I won't elaborate about the giant sized spider I found in my bathroom just as I was sitting down to pee. Needless to say, a merry band of residents came to usher it out. I am a city girl through and through.

Today Louis, a local, invited us to his home. Karan, Minami and I set out on foot to get there. We were told to cross the train tracks, make a left, take a path, we'd see a cork grove on one side and a door on the other and to go through the door and climb up the hill. There we'd find Louis. It took about 1/2 hour to get to the "door" (which was really a wire gate) but behind it, roaming, were horses, cows and bulls. I was fine with the horses and cows, but those two bulls scared the crap out of me. What was that movie I saw as a child where a bull charges a little boy? Well it stuck with me and I was too frightened to cross the bull's path, so we took the long way around to his house, only to learn that the bulls are scared of people and would never hurt a fly. CITY GIRL
At Minami's art display the other night
Louis lives in a home without running water and just recently got electricity due to some solar panels. He ushered us in giving us water, juice, tea and biscuits as Karan immediately probed him on the meaning of life. We had a lovely visit and I've included some pictures.

What is the purpose of life?
Louis through the cork
Louis, me, Karan
A friend just contacted me on fbook to say she was coincidentally coming to Lisbon at the end of the month and might have some Alicia Keyes tickets, as her husband is working on the show. This would mean leaving this paradise a few days early, but how fun would it be to see a concert in Lisbon? These are the perks of Facebook...
Melissa with the herb named Melissa, good for calming nerves!

beautiful roses






No comments: