Tuesday, May 21, 2013

New(s) Diet

A little less than a year ago, I (mostly) relinquished cable. I found that I was spending too much time with Housewives, Millionaires, Psychics and the like. I downsized to channels 1-30, which still includes my all time fav station UCTV. One result of this cable downsize has been a noticeable absence of news stations. Back in the cable days, I would have immediately turned to CNN after a tragedy like the recent tornadoes in OK, burning horrific images into my brain and crying myself to sleep. The 24-hour news cycle is not a good match for an anxious person, and I didn't even realize this until I no longer had access to it. Sure, I want to stay informed, but I don't need alarmist newscasters and repeated traumatic images produced as a slick news show to get there. These days I turn to the radio, usually NPR, to consume journalistic stories. A byproduct of this news diet is that I actually feel lighter - emotionally, spiritually, etc. Another is that I'm reading more than ever. Cable, along with its enormous bill, is simply no longer for me. I don't miss the Housewives as much as I thought I might, and I can get DVD's or stream the shows that I do miss (Mad Men, Homeland). This is a much easier diet than I anticipated!




No comments: