Thursday, April 19, 2012

Connections Clark

It's official, my 2nd novel Imperfect has launched. I celebrated last weekend with a little gathering of friends and family at a great bar in Culver City. I gave a presentation and a short reading and as I looked into the audience I was so overcome by gratitude - what amazing people I have in my life - many whom I've known since childhood and many new friends who I feel like I've known forever.


Yesterday, when I heard of Dick Clark's passing, I couldn't help but think about the time I worked for him back somewhere in mid-90's. He produced a game show called "No Relation" about contestants trying to identify who didn't belong in a family (there was always a decoy family member). It was actually a pretty fun game. I was brought on as a writer - interviewing the family members and creating questions for the contestants to ask. (see? these are the fun jobs you can have while living in L.A.) Dick Clark wasn't really part of the day-to-day of that show, but since I worked in his building, I'd see him every now and again in the hallway, and I always saw his dogs.

One afternoon while filming the show on the CBS lot, Mr. Clark walked into the room where I was and sat down. I'd never formally met him, so I approached him with an outstretched arm and said, "I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Melissa Clark, no relation..." What I meant was I was not related to him, but the name of the show I was working on was also "No Relation" so it sounded like I was just rattling off my credits. At the time I found this to be hysterical.

 His offices, on Olive Street in Burbank, were allegedly once a mortuary and while it was a little bit creepy coming to work every day, I have fond memories of that job, the people with whom I worked and my little encounter with the Rockin' New Year's Eve legend. R.I.P.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Articles writing Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world. am really impress your work Stay Blessings On your Work..
olympic station cycles
trendy cycle shops london
bicycle shops north london