Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What We Talk About When We Talk About Food

I have had some amazing meals in the past few weeks - some created, some purchased. Pictured below is a salmon and apple carpaccio dish inspired by Giada DeLaurentiis. I hosted a brunch for my parents the other week and this was the standout of the meal. Thin slices of smoked salmon are joined by thin slices of green apple, capers, a dollop of olive oil and served with toasted olive bread. The flavors and textures are outstanding together, and I know I'll be assembling this dish many more times in the future.
For my birthday last week, my parents took me to a phenomenal restaurant in Koreatown called Jun Won. My mom had read a review in the LA Times that had her mouth watering. It is a small place, almost like a diner, and kind of hard to find, but this is the best Korean food I think I've ever had. Even the little side dishes, pictured here, were out of this world. Everything was so fresh and bursting with flavor. Run, do not walk, to this restaurant as soon as you get a chance. Later that day I went to this spa, which deserves an entire post of it's own. Let me just say here that it is open 24 hours and on Tuesdays costs a mere $15.00 for the use of all its fabulous and wacky amenities.

I overate this weekend while hosting a college reunion - a Hollywood Bowl picnic, dinner at Street, lots of little "pickies" as our friend John calls noshing food, and then this fantastic dinner at Loteria Grill. Katie sampled the 12-taco special...

...while I indulged in a shrimp and pumpkin sauce dish. Mmmmmmmmm.

I have A LOT to say about this past weekend's reunion, but am waiting for pictures to illustrate the stories. Ooops, just looked at the clock - 12:30 - time for lunch! I wonder why I'm so hungry?


No comments: