Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Downtown

Suddenly, I find, my life is taking place downtown.

Last week I was on jury duty. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good courtroom drama, but the flourescent lights were so... flourescent, the judge droned on and on, some other jurors were so annoying and the walk from Disney Hall, where we had to park, to the Criminal Courts building was just plain painful in slightly heeled sandals. Did I mention that the defendant was defending himself? Thankfully I had this fantastic book to keep me company.

On Friday, post jury duty, I had a reading downtown, however I wasn't dressed for a reading nor did I have any of my books in the car. After court I had to drive home (over an hour), shower, change, grab books and hop back in the car (almost 2 hours in peak traffic) to head back downtown for the reading. The night was a blast, but as I was saying my goodbyes, I experienced auras that signified a migraine was coming. And it came, keeping me company on my schlep back home.

Next semester I'll be teaching a course at my college's downtown campus, as well as teaching a few courses through this downtown writing salon. Oh, it's a lot of driving, but I'm excited to explore some restaurants, neighborhoods and other sights that I normally wouldn't get to see.

And then there's this spot that I imagine I'll be frequenting on my drive back home to the west side. Aaah. That might make it all worthwhile.

No comments: