Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year! I'm Still Obsessed.

It's January 2010 and I thought for sure my Michael Jackson obsession would have waned by now. It hasn't, and I'm very surprised. In fact, it's only grown since I discovered the Jackson reality show on A&E. There are just so many Jacksons to obsess over - Tito with his bedroom eyes, Jermaine - seemingly a troublemaker, and the one...is it Randy?...opening a slave ship theme park and resort in Africa. I mean, how can't one be obsessed?

But back to Michael. Just the other night I caught The Wizard of Oz on cable and immediately understood that MJ was inspired by this classic. You can't deny the comparison between the yellow brick road and the Billy Jean video.


But how about the Tin Man's dance and the Smooth Criminal dance?


Jackson's militaristic moves are astoundingly similar to the Munchkins opening dance, but I can't find photographic evidence to back this up. You'll just have to see for yourself.

MJ was a notorious movie lover. If I had to bet money, I'd go all out that he was inspired by this classic.

Now, the real question is when will I stop caring? Anyone want to place bets?

No comments: