Thursday, August 6, 2009

Yoga is my Cristal


Yesterday I completed the umpteenth draft of my new novel and turned it in to my writer friend Margaret for notes. I posted an update on Facebook announcing I'd be biking to beach yoga that night to celebrate. A friend from high school wrote back, "I'd figure a bottle of Cristal would be more appropriate." He was probably right - I could have used a bottle, or even a glass, to calm my frayed nerves. When I arrived at the restaurant to meet Margaret earlier that day, manuscript in hand, she said, "How are you feeling? Unfettered?" I was amazed that she pinpointed the emotion in a matter of seconds, but then as a fellow novelist, she should know. That night, I hopped on my bike and followed the path to Rose, where I locked it to a fence and joined some other friends near the water for a gentle yoga practice. We breathed with the tide, did Downward Dog on the incline and saluted the setting sun. Later we listened to musicians serenade us as we all joined in for the chorus of the various songs. At around 9pm we said our goodbyes and I got back on my bike feeling more centered and less unfettered, as the wind gently nudged me home under the light of a full and perfect moon. It was an appropriate celebration of an almost 4-year endeavor, and the best part was no hangover in the morning.

No comments: