Sunday, November 30, 2008

Feelin' Kinda Hosney

In eleventh grade I enrolled in a film class taught by a new teacher on campus, Jim Hosney. At the end of the semester, I emerged able to deconstruct Fellini, Bunuel, Resnais. Hosney approached teaching with a kind of passion I'd never seen before. He literally leapt in the air in enthusiasm when a student had a comment, an idea, or even a question. In his eyes, no subject matter was too mature for us, no term too sophisticated. He set the bar high and was euphoric when we rose to the occasion, which we did often, for him. 

Hosney retired from Crossroads this year, and on Saturday night over 350 former students, faculty and parents celebrated him at the Roxy in West Hollywood. He humbly got on stage to thank us for the honor, and then gave an eloquent speech acknowledging, among other things, that as much as he affected our lives, we affected his.
Former student Gillian Welch performed...

...as did former student Jack Black

Former Hosney students Allison Weinrot, Liz Bliss, George Renan, Meredith Robinson and myself (and a scary bouncer in the background).
Hosney spent the night surrounded by well-wishers. 
I've had many teachers in my life, but none who have displayed the passion, charisma, intelligence and warmth of Jim Hosney.  I'm so grateful I was able to say 'thank you,' even if it was twenty-five years later.
I hope there is a teacher in your life who has given you a similar gift.

1 comment:

george jackson said...

such a naught boy I am

http://thecenterofnow.blogspot.com/